What Is eSign?
eSign is an electronic signature service to facilitate a user to apply their digital signature on a document.
The eSign service of authenticating users is made possible through the Aadhaar Electronic Know-Your-Customer (eKYC) service.
Any Aadhaar-holder can electronically sign a document (on a mobile, tablet, computer, etc) by providing his/her Aadhaar number and OTP or Biometric scan.
eSign was designed to replace the physical-digital signature dongle (which did not seem feasible for a population of over 1 Billion people) by mass adoption of the use of the digital signature.
eSign is legally valid (initiative set up by the Government of India) and can be used to electronically sign documents under the Information Technology act, 2000.
eSign provides an alternative to the old physical process of applying signatures on documents.
The entities that would benefit most from eSign services are those that accept a large number of signed documents from users.
Some of the advantages of eSign are:
- An individual can sign a document from anywhere and at the same time get multiple parties to sign a document from different locations.
- eSign is convenient and easy to use. A document can be signed immediately and remotely.
- Physical records or paper-based records will no longer always be required, along with the space for storing such documents. eSign is consistent with being eco-friendly and the go-green initiative.
- Permanent storage of electronic records of documents serves as evidence as the case may be.
- eSign is consent-based and can only happen if a user requires service and initiates the same.
- Electronic documents stored online are tamper-proof.
Who Can Provide eSign?
Any Application Service Provider (ASP) can facilitate eSign services to customers by integrating the service into their application. The entity should be:
- A Legal Entity registered in India
- A financial institution, bank or telecom company
- A non-profit company or Special Purpose Organization
- An authority incorporated under the State or Central Act
- A Central or State Government Ministry or department or any undertaking formed by the same authorities
Who Can Use eSign?
The delivery of services for the following applications can be enhanced with the use of eSign:
- Digilocker for self-attestation of documents
- E-filing and application ID for Tax and Tax Returns
- New account applicants at post offices and banks
- Application for vehicle registration and license renewal
- Application for Income certificate, death certificate, birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.
- Applicants for issue and reissue of Passport
- Application for a new telecom connection
- College Students for exam and/or course enrollment
- Members of Parliament can use eSign to submit parliament questions
SignDesk For Onboarding Customers And Vendors
A company or an entity can make use of eSign services to onboard customers or vendors.
Customers or vendors can sign a document remotely and this enables a company to onboard more customers conveniently and at a lesser cost.
These companies can use SignDesk to avail of digital signature offerings to onboard vendors or customers, sign agreements and contracts, self-attestation, etc.
The uses of eSign, though several, do have some limitations such as negotiable instruments, power of attorney, trust, will, the sale of immovable property, etc. (These documents cannot be electronically signed).
A company will have to partner with SignDesk and avail of eSign services for businesses.
Any customer or vendor will be required to provide their 12 digit Aadhaar number and One-Time Password (OTP) to a company and the customer can sign a document or agreement with the partnered company.
The company can then enter into a legal contract with a customer or vendor after a customer or vendor has affixed its electronic signature on a document.
Need An ASP?
SignDesk (launched by Legaldesk.com) is an authorized Application Service Provider (ASP) that enables eSign services.
SignDesk is in collaboration with the UIDAI to facilitate eSign services. SignDesk packages are available for small and medium businesses as well as enterprises.
The cost of eSign for different business undertakings varies. If the price of digital signatures is required, then contact us for a quote.
All you have to do is upload the document that needs signing, verify your identity by providing Aadhaar number and OTP followed by electronically signing the document or sharing the document with multiple parties.